Thursday, December 18, 2014

List of adverbs

List of 100 Adverbs

This list of 100 adverbs can also be useful when understanding what an adverb is and how to identify one:
  1. Accidentally- I accidentally break
  2. Always- I always go
  3. Angrily- I angrily shout
  4. Anxiously- I anxiously await
  5. Awkwardly- I awkwardly jump
  6. Badly- I badly want
  7. Blindly
  8. Boastfully
  9. Boldly- I boldly go
  10. Bravely- I bravely lead
  11. Brightly
  12. Cheerfully
  13. Coyly
  14. Crazily
  15. Defiantly
  16. Deftly- I deftly maneuver
  17. Deliberately
  18. Devotedly- I devotedly call
  19. Doubtfully
  20. Dramatically- I dramatically sigh
  21. Dutifully- I dutifully attend
  22. Eagerly
  23. Elegantly
  24. Enormously
  25. Evenly
  26. Eventually- - I’ll eventually come
  27. Exactly
  28. Faithfully
  29. Finally
  30. Foolishly- I foolishly charged
  31. Fortunately- I fortunately received
  32. Frantically- I frantically looked
  33. Frequently- I frequently stay
  34. Gleefully
  35. Gracefully
  36. Happily
  37. Hastily
  38. Honestly
  39. Hopelessly- I hopelessly wait
  40. Hourly
  41. Hungrily- I hungrily ate
  42. Innocently
  43. Inquisitively
  44. Irritably
  45. Jealously
  46. Justly- I justly deserved
  47. Kindly- The kindly old man
  48. Lazily
  49. Loosely- The loosely tied knot
  50. Madly
  51. Merrily
  52. Mortally- I mortally wounded
  53. Mysteriously- The mysteriously absent stranger
  54. Nervously
  55. Never- I never whisper
  56. Obediently
  57. Obnoxiously- The obnoxiously loud phone
  58. Occasionally- I occasionally giggle
  59. Often- I often smile
  60. Only- The only white dog
  61. Perfectly
  62. Politely
  63. Poorly
  64. Powerfully
  65. Promptly- He promptly arrived
  66. Quickly- I quickly run
  67. Rapidly- I rapidly fall
  68. Rarely- I rarely yell
  69. Really- The really pretty house
  70. Regularly- Your regularly scheduled program
  71. Rudely- I rudely shouted
  72. Safely
  73. Seldom- I seldom cry
  74. Selfishly
  75. Seriously- The seriously early boy
  76. Shakily
  77. Sharply
  78. Silently
  79. Slowly- I slowly walk
  80. Solemnly
  81. Sometimes- I sometimes frown
  82. Speedily- I speedily deliver
  83. Steadily- I steadily stride
  84. Sternly- I sternly scolded
  85. Technically
  86. Tediously
  87. Tenderly
  88. Terrifically
  89. Tightly- The tightly wound thread
  90. Totally
  91. Tremendously
  92. Unexpectedly- I unexpectedly arrived
  93. Usually- I usually leave
  94. Victoriously
  95. Vivaciously
  96. Warmly
  97. Wearily
  98. Weekly
  99. Wildly
  100. Yearly

What Is an Adverb

An adverb adds to a verb. In other words, an adverb describes, modifies or provides more information about a verb in a sentence. So, if you said "I am going to quickly run to the store," the adverb in that sentence (quickly) would be modifying the verb run.
Adverbs can be confused with adjectives, which also modify things. However, adjectives modify nouns and pronouns. If you said "I have a nice dog," dog is the noun which is being modified by the adjective nice. On the other hand, if you said that "My dog behaves nicely," behaves would be the adverb modifying the verb.
In addition to verbs, adverbs also modify adjectives and other adverbs. So, when you say "I have the most beautiful dog," the dog is the noun, beautiful is the adjective describing the noun, and most is the adverb describing beautiful.

Identifying Adverbs

In case you haven’t figured it out by now, there is a trend when it comes to identifying adverbs. Many, but not all adverbs, end in the letters “ly.” Luckily, this little trick makes it relatively easy to identify adverbs in sentences. However, this is not always the case, as some frequency adverbs, such as always, often, sometimes, seldom, and never, do not follow this rule. Still, it can be a good tip to help you along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment